Friday, September 21, 2012

How Do You Take Your Horror?


Today is Stephen King’s birthday, and to honor the occasion I thought my blog topic this week should be horror.

So how do you take yours? Blood, guts, and chainsaws?

I like mine with a psychological element. No slasher films here. And really, that’s what most of King’s work is – psychological horror, especially my favorites like Carrie, IT, The Shining, and Bag of Bones. I get chills just thinking about them.

Horror, thriller, aestheticized violence. Whatever you call it, we can’t seem to get enough. It’s huge right now – in novels, TV, and the influx of movies ready to be released for Halloween. And for some, the more gruesome the better.  

Recently, a friend of mine was asking for book recommendations for her daughter.  I asked what she liked and the sixteen-year-old said, “Murder.” But when her mom gave her a look of concern and shock, the girl quickly amended her answer. “I mean mystery,” she said.

Yes, from Dexter to American Horror Story; I Hunt Killers to Anna Dressed in Blood; even, Revenge and Pretty Little Liars. We love to be scared. So at the kickoff of the spookiest season of the year, I plan to get my creep on.  

On the nightstand:

 Lisey’s Story, Stephen King

The Diviners, Libba Bray

Carnival of Souls, Melissa Marr

Sharp Objects, Gillian Flynn

On the DVR:

666 Park Avenue

Walking Dead

Hannibal

I may even get out to a spooky movie or two. I’m intrigued by the House at the End of the Street. Yes, bring on the monsters and murderers… tis the season.  And Happy Birthday, Stephen King!

4 comments:

  1. Walking Dead is my newest addiction. So good. My favorite King novel has to be The Shining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, maybe I'll start Walking Dead tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big Stephen King fan, too! Pet Semetary is my favorite. Great post, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is such a fun time of year. My WIP is a scary story too - can't think of a better time to be writing it :)

      Delete